Monday, March 4, 2013

Growing Vegetables from Seed Part 3


Part 1 | Part 2




Jiffy GreenhouseAfter 3 weeks, I had mixed results. The columbines were predictably not up yet (they can take up to 4 weeks to sprout), most of the peas sprouted, but only 2 green beans spouted.


The rest got covered in white mold.


Pea, Green Beans, Marigolds 
I cleaned out the unsprouted pellets as best I could of the mold and tried again with new green beans and new peas in the pellets that hadn't grown.




Now, I had only watered the pellets once by this point as per the instructions. 

Only when the pellet is a light brown do they need watering. 

 
 I followed the directions to the letter and still it grew mold. Pretty disappointing.

I decided to keep hope alive for the columbines though.  Surely they wouldn't turn out to be a dud like the green beans.  But still... one month germination period? That's a pretty long time.

Columbines, MarigoldsHowever, one week later, I had columbines! They are the tiny seedlings on the left of the tray.

 I saw no new sprouts in the green bean or pea section, so I gave it up as a lost cause.


The Burpee Greenhouse grew plenty more peas and green beans, I can use them.


Jiffy Greenhouse
Here's a closeup of the sprouts.

Columbines on the left, marigolds on the right.

The weather is still a bit cold, so I'm waiting another week to transplant, outside.




There will be more light on the garden then.

The roots are coming out of the pellets and visiting the other plants next to them, so hopefully the roots won't be a tangled mess in another week.
 
The plants are still growing, so at least I'm doing something right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment