Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Transplanting Seedlings to the Garden from a Jiffy Greenhouse


Well, most of the Seedlings are Transplanted today...


Jiffy Greenhouse Part 1 | Jiffy Greenhouse Update

About a month after planting my Jiffy Greenhouse, the seedlings mostly look like this:



Spring Peas
The peas have just about outgrown their little peat pot, so it's time to kick them outside into the garden.


For the last week, I've moved the greenhouse outside into the part shade to let the peas get used to the sun.


In the foreground, you can see the peat with nothing growing in it from where the mold killed off the seeds/seedlings.


The two green beans that lived are going to be my little experiment to see if the temperatures are right for the other green beans.




I'm not expecting success in this, (the nights are still below freezing) but it's worth it, for science.




Garden Bed
Here's the garden bed I'm using. It is mostly composted horse manure mixed with peat moss and north Georgia dirt, surrounded by wood timbers.


Grass does manage to grow around it in the summer. The fence does a dual job of keeping the dog in the yard and the deer out.


Squirrels and chimpunks, not so much. That's what bird block is for.






Spring Peas
Here you can see the peas outside of the greenhouse and in the garden.


According to the box, they don't need to be removed from the peat pods, just plunked down into the dirt with a bit of the top sticking out of the soil.





I placed each plant roughly where I'm going to place the bamboo poles that will help hold them up.



This is as cheap and easy as plant stakes get. They're homegrown, won't rust, and bamboo actually lasts a few years as a plant stake.




The plant on the right is in a huge pot (don't plant it in the ground unless you want a bamboo forest all over your yard) that allows it to grow 8-10 ft. stalks.


The plant is about 12 years old. Regular trimming helps keep it healthy. It needs fertilizer once a month during the spring/summer.







bamboo
I trimmed two stalks off with rose clippers. I only need a 6ft stake.


You can measure the stalk if you want, but I just eyeball the height I want and cut it off where the bamboo becomes too narrow to use as a stake.


I also use these stakes for tomatoes and other vegetables. I'll also use them to hold up my bird block fence.




bamboo
There. All trimmed and ready to use in the garden. I just used the rose clippers to trim off the leaves as close to the stalk as possible.

Sometimes, I like to leave a little edge of stem to give the plants something to hang on to as they climb the bamboo.

For example, the pea plants will like to climb up it.





bamboo stakes

I used garden twine to tie three bamboo stakes together.

Then, I sunk each stake about 6-12in. deep in the soil.

The pea plants went in next.

I followed the directions on the Jiffy box and left a little lip of the peat pod sticking out of the soil.

Now we'll see if they'll grow.

In a week or two, I'll use garden twine to tie the pea plants to the stakes loosely to help them climb it. I may add mesh to the stakes to help them climb upwards as well.

bird block

You can barely see it, but this is what the bird block fence looks like.

I used bamboo poles and garden twine to tie a fence around the garden.

The bird block can be reused for a few years before it disintegrates.

I'm using this temporary fence instead of a wire fence because in a few months, I'll change out the plants for the summer cucumbers and tomatoes.

I use marigolds to keep animals away. They work quite well. I also need the room to walk around the garden, and it's annoying to move the fence every 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment