Tuesday, March 19, 2013

How to Build Garden Stakes from Bamboo

This is as cheap and easy as plant stakes get. They're homegrown, won't rust like metal stakes, and bamboo actually lasts a few years out in the elements.



The plant on the right is in a huge pot (don't plant it in the ground unless you want a bamboo forest all over your yard) that allows it to grow 8-10 ft. stalks.


The plant is about 12 years old. Regular trimming helps keep it healthy. It needs fertilizer once a month during the spring/summer.

It also needs quite a bit of water during the summer. 



Depending on the heat (in Georgia it gets to the 100s) it may need water 2-3 times per week.


Or more. I usually let the hose trickle slowly on the plant for 15min to saturate the roots fully.





bamboo
To make stakes, I trimmed two stalks off with rose clippers. I only need a 6ft stake for the peas I'm planting.


You can measure the stalk if you want, but I just eyeball the height I want and cut it off where the bamboo becomes too narrow to use as a stake.


I also use these stakes for tomatoes and other vegetables. I'll also use them to hold up my bird block fence.



bamboo
There. All trimmed and ready to use in the garden. I just used the rose clippers to trim off the leaves as close to the stalk as possible.

The leaves will compost, but the twigs will take a long time to break down if they're thick.


Sometimes, I like to leave a little edge of stem to give the plants something to hang on to as they climb the bamboo.



For example, the pea plants will like to climb up it.





bamboo stakes
I used garden twine to tie three bamboo stakes together.

Then, I sunk each stake about 6-12in. deep in the soil.


Then, the pea plants were planted. 

I use these bamboo stakes for everything that climbs in the garden. 

You can make a trellis out of it for cucumber, or use it to make a bird block fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment