Monday, March 4, 2013

Growing Vegetables from Seed Part 4


Part 1: Jiffy Greenhouse | Part 2: Burpee Greenhouse | Part 3: Jiffy Greenhouse Update


Burpee Greenhouse Kit
This is the kit I started with. See the links above for how to start seeds in it.


So far I've had better luck with this kit.




Unlike the Jiffy Greenhouse, 90% of the plants sprouted in ten days, just like their seed packet said.

The kale and brussels sprouts appeared in 5 days.



Burpee Greenhouse
Left to right: brussels sprouts, kale, beets, peas, green beans. Looks like almost all the cells have sprouts in them.





Burpee Greenhouse
Here's an "aerial view" of the seedlings.


As you can see, the cells on the left have not sprouted - the San Marzano tomatoes.




They may be taking longer because of the soil temperature. I'll give them a few more days (or another week) before I break down and get a heater mat.


Burpee Greenhouse
I put this closeup here because it's so nice to actually see the green beans sprouting!

Between the mold on the Jiffy Greenhouse and the seeds that disintegrated instead of sprouting, I like seeing the plants actually growing.

I took this picture a few hours after the one above and the green beans had visibly grown in that time.


Burpee Greenhouse
One week later, all the seedlings have sprouted.

I'll give them another week and then the cold weather plants (peas, kale) are going outside to the garden.

The green beans will be transplanted. I'll leave the others (tomatoes, beets, brussels sprouts) for another few weeks in the kit.

Burpee Greenhouse

I decided to buy another greenhouse so I could start a mesclun mix of greens and spinach. They mostly sprouted up.

The mesclun mix seeds were so small I ended up putting a handful into each cell, so 6-7 sprouted instead of 2-3.

I did have to re-seed a few cells for some reason. Maybe I forgot to put seeds in them?

These guys will also go outside next week with the peas and kale.

No comments:

Post a Comment